Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Fukui-san!

Who wants Mario Batali when you can have Chen Kenichi? Not me. I’ve been devouring the old Ironmen of Cooking show since I got it and, man, it is so much better than that flimsy imitator, Iron Chef America.

They have an Umeboshi Battle! I love umeboshi. And Udon! There were two Uni Battles! And three Natto Battles! Mochi too!

Apparently chef Makoto Osada invented the famous Shark Fin Soup with Crab Brains. I had no idea until I re-watched the 30 Year Old Lobster Battle. Also, in Western Japan they cut eel open from the belly but in the East they cut them open from the back because the samurai in the East wanted to avoid any references to seppuku. Picked that up from the Eel Battle. I had totally forgotten about Rokusaburo Michiba’s infamous rivalry with Toshiro Kandagawa. He sent four culinary hit men (4!) to defeat Michiba before signing a written oath to take him on himself in Battle Yellowtail.

I had forgotten how bizarre and beautiful this show is – the American version is so tepid that I had almost lost my enthusiasm for kitchen based competitive television.

Allez cuisine!

2 comments:

Kelley Anne said...

You bought it! I'm more than a little jealous. So many fond memories of staying up late and watching that strange and wonderful show at mom and dad's house.

John Cason said...

Its like running into a fussy but fascinating old friend. Morimoto is no Michiba. No sir.