Wednesday, January 21, 2009

It's Over

The euphoria of Hussein winning the election has faded somewhat, and I was surprised that yesterday's inauguration did not really kick-start those old feelings. My joy (though no less real now) has been tempered by the cold realities of what we are facing and more than anything I simply want him to get to work.

No, the feeling that I was most powerfully aware of yesterday was disbelief that the long national nightmare of Bush Presidency is finally over. Things have gotten so bad and our government has become so unburdened by the rule of law that I assumed that the country would crumble or W. would declare himself President For Life before we saw a peaceful transfer of power. It's freeing, exhilarating and wearing all at once. But its over now. It's like waking up from a nightmare and finding out that the horrors you imagined were real. Though it's terrifying and will take a lot of hard work to fix the problems, but at least now we are awake and have a chance at defeating them. I only hope that Hussein has it in him. I believe that he does, but I've been surprised before.

Besides a new President I also got Merriweather Post Pavilion yesterday, and it is as good as they say. At least I won't have to wait to find out if that was worth it.

No comments: