Friday, June 8, 2007

41 Days of Music

So, I’m listening to all of the songs in my iTunes at work straight through chronologically. No point really, just bored. Right now I’m nine hours in (1967) and listening to Velvet Underground and Nico.* My library is 329 hours long. If I listen 8 hours a day I’ll be through in just over 41 days.

A few little notes. I like the Beatles more than Elvis. I like Elvis more than the Rolling Stones. I like the Rolling Stones more than I thought. “My Obsession” is an awesome song. Their first few records are really good, especially Between the Buttons. I forgot how much of their early material (and the Beatles) consisted of covers. I can’t imagine a young band today doing that and being taken seriously. Though most bands’ first records are kind of like covers anyway: a collection of influences played out, rather than built upon. But still, imagine if some indie band came along and their first record was almost all covers of songs from the past few years.

Capt. Beefheart’s Safe as Milk is really good, but is a once-in-a-while record for me, kind of like Rehearsing My Choir. I’d take Johnny Cash’s early, propulsive material over the Rick Rubin-produced funeral dirges any day. “Sunday Morning Coming Down” is still my favorite Cash song. Love that Kris Kristofferson.

I still remain mystified by Pet Sounds. I get it, its immaculately written and produced. It just doesn’t grab me, all the songs sound too similar. A recent article took Sgt. Pepper’s to task for being too removed, too aloof, while praising Pet Sounds for being deeply felt. What emo-style revisionist history bullshit. Sgt. Pepper's isn’t supposed to be about the Beatles themselves. Why else sing from both perspectives in “She’s Leaving Home”? There’s nothing in criticism I hate more than attacking something for what its not, rather than what it is, or wants to be.

I love Dusty Springfield. I could listen to "All I See is You" all day. I love Donovan too, but while he was writing “Mellow Yellow” Bob Dylan was writing “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again”. Check and mate.

*Why does Nico get co-billing on an album that she didn't help write and sang only 3 songs on?

2 comments:

Eshniner Forest said...

Nico was the pretty one.

John Cason said...

prettier than lou reed!? if you say so...